2020/8/23 (SUN) 09:00 – 18:00
1. Web servers, CGI servers, Unix servers
– Suspended for a few minutes between 10:00 and 16:00.
2. License management
– Between 10:30 and 15:00, unavailable for approximately 30 minutes.
– The License Management Server will be suspended; therefore the applications below cannot be used:
Regarding the campus site license, the following applications installed on computers not belonging to the Zengaku Computer System will also be unavailable during this time:
SPSS, ArcGIS, Mathematica (Comprehensive Program).
3. Printers (including On-demand terminals)
– Between 09:00 and 18:00, each one unavailable for approximately 90-120 minutes.
4. Remote Desktop servers (remote-s, remote-t, icho00〜icho09)
– Unavailable between 10:00 and 18:00.
If you are using a remote desktop when the maintenance starts, a pop-up message will appear; please log off from there.
(Please be aware that the system will log you off automatically in 10 minutes.)
From Monday, June 22, 2020, the use of satellites for the Zengaku Computer System will be gradually resumed.
Only printers will be available from Monday, June 22, 2020. Refer to the following web page for the details.
Satellite opening status
Due to the online class period, the number of users using the remote desktop service is increasing.
This service is not designed to be used for online classes.
If about 30 users connect to the service at the same time, the following may occur
・The server load will increase.
(The above picture is an error screen.)
To avoid errors, please consider the following.
Verify that the required software is available outside of the Remote Desktop Service.
Some of the licensed software contracted by the University of Tsukuba can be installed on students’ personal computers.
In this case, please switch to working on your own PC instead of connecting to Remote Desktop Service.
The software that can be used on the personal computer is as follows
Trend Micro anti-virus software
The satellite rooms will be locked down for a while to prevent the coronavirus.
Recently, incidents such as information leakage caused by malware infection has been occurring.
If you own a PC, you must have anti-virus software installed.
In our university, we distribute a brochure “Safe and Secure Use of the Information Systems”. We also distribute anti-virus software available for your PC. Please refer the pages below.
* Safe and Secure Use of the Information Systems
* Trend Micro Antivirus Software Site License Offer
The University of Tsukuba has introduced self-instructive e-learning course “INFOSS Information Ethics” as part of information security education. This e-learning course provides students with knowledge and manners related to information and communication technology so that they will not cause a problem or will not be victimized in this information society. Undergraduates will be prompted to take the course in common fundamental subject course “Information Literacy”, and students with other statuses should take it as well voluntarily.
For more information about “INFOSS”, visit the following website:
INFOSS Information Ethics Course’ e-Learning Course
After graduation, completion of studies or retirement, you will not be able to use the Zengaku Computer System anymore. Also, if you advance to graduate school, your student ID number will change and therefore you will not be able to use your current ID.
Please be aware that if you leave the University of Tsukuba, you will no longer be able to use your “@u.tsukuba.ac.jp” from Active!mail or email clients.
If you remain as a member of the university after resignation or retirement, you can continue to use your @u.tsukuba.ac.jp by submitting an application.
Please review the following information and take necessary steps depending on your situation.
1. If you do not remain as a member of the university after resignation or retirement
By setting up email forwarding, messages sent to your @u.tsukuba.ac.jp can be received at another email address. This email forwarding is valid for six months after resignation or retirement.
For more information, see the following webpage:
Mail Forwarding Setup (Active! mail)
Lifelong E-Mail Service (@alumni.tsukuba.ac.jp)
2. If you continue to be a member of the university as a professor emeritus or another position after resignation or retirement
To continue to use your @u.tsukuba.ac.jp, please submit an application after Professor Emeritus Awards Ceremony or after your new employment has started.
For the procedures, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 029-853-2452 (Academic Computing & Communications Center Office).
Those who use Zengaku Computer System, please read notification (within the university network only) carefully as follows.
* On emergency responses regarding Unified Authentication System passwords
Paid-print service has started.
For more information, please refer to the following website.
Regarding the start of printing at users’ own expense from a paid printer
This problem was fixed around 20:30.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Mail system trouble may have occured since around 17:30 4th April 2018.
Please wait for fixing it.
There were smoke emission and ignition accidents of personal devices plugged into electrical outlets in satellite computer rooms. Except for permitted devices such as satellite terminals and projectors, do not use power taps and outlets in computer rooms.
Do not remove connected plugs without permission, because removing them causes to interfere with classes and maintenance works.
We issue an mail magazine for sending information such as maintenance and troubles of the Zengaku Computer System. The mail magazine is only in Japanese.
For more information please refer to this page.
Users can install and use online storage client software such as Dropbox. It is useful, but there are some points that you should be careful. Please use it at your own risk.
- Be careful for the capacity difference between the online storage and your home area of the Zengaku Computer System. When data on online storage are synchronized with your home area of the Zengaku Computer System, the usage may reach the upper limit without noticing it, and causes trouble such as losing your files.
- For the reason described above, we recommend that you do not use it synchronously on the Zengaku Computer System but only upload and download through a browser. If you want to synchronize, please set the online storage client software carefully so that there is no problem. Especially make sure of folders to be synchronized.
- ACCC will not deal with troubles related to online storage client software installed individually. Please use it at your own risk.
Recently, yet more news articles report damage caused by phishing or account hijack. In fact, also here in our university, we receive reports about such damage caused by account abuse. We’d like our users to be very careful about managing accounts.
We, ACCC staff, are monitoring traffic to detect abnormal activity such as unusual number of outgoing mail transmission from hijacked account. Although we don’t monitor contents of messages, we do log source IP address and sender mail address for each mail message and use them to figure out problems.
As an emergency action against incidents such as supposedly abnormal transmission of mail messages, we may temporally lock user’s account without notifying the owner of the account. Under such circumstances, we will interview the user for more information.
We ask for your kind understanding and cooperation.
University of Tsukuba has some license agreements so that members of the university can purchase products with special discounts or use software without additional cost.
For more information, please refer to the following website.
Software License (ACCC website)
ACCC cooperates with a project called Crowd4U. The Crowd4U project is an attempt to solve problems that are difficult to solve with computers alone, with the wisdom of people using computers.
If you are interested in this project, please see the following website.