- Remote access by Windows is only available in Japan. However, even if you are in Japan, you may be judged as being outside of Japan. Please understand.
- Trial operation period (until 3/26). Access is unstable. Please understand.
- “Remote Desktop Connection (RDP Connection)” is no longer available for connecting to The Zengaku Computer System.
- Public keys will be transferred, but a warning message will appear because the host to log in will be changed.
- Using Windows Desktop on the Zengaku Computer System
- Using Linux Desktop on the Zengaku Computer System
- Using UNIX shell on the Zengaku Computer System (SSH Access)
- About software
Depending on the license, available software may be different from satellite terminals.See Software Information for datails.
- Old client may not work
From Mac OS please use connection on Web browser or something.
- Automatical log-out after 2 hours
In order to avoid occupation by a small number of users, for Windows desktop and Linux desktop, it automatically signs out / logs out after 2 hours from the time connection started. As it compulsorily signs out / logs out even during operation, please keep it in mind.
- Regular restart of remote desktop servers
In order to operate the system stably, the servers for using the Windows desktop are regularly restarted. Restarts occur every day at 6:00 and 6:30, with staggered timing for each server. If the user is signed in at this point, it will not be restarted. Also, because the restart timing is different for each server, the user is not affected by the restart even when the user newly logs in.
- Regarding being judged as being in another country even though you are in Japan
The database that manages the relationship between IP addresses and countries used by the firewall installed at the University of Tsukuba is used to determine whether your connection is to Japan or not.
When the organization to which the IP address is assigned changes, this database is also updated, but it may not be reflected immediately. As a result, judgments may be incorrect.
The University of Tsukuba is unable to correct this database. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation.
2. Using Windows Desktop on the Zengaku Computer System
2-1. Table of connection methods
|Connection Method||HTML5||VMware Horizon Client|
|Client Environment||Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android|
|Required Tool||Web browser||Download VMware Horizon Client from the VMware site|
|Connecting to Server||Access to the URL||Access to the URL with Web browser, or launch VMware Horizon Client and enter the server name view-con00.u.tsukuba.ac.jp directly|
|User Name||Not to include @u or later|
|Copy & paste between local ⟷ remote||The menu appears by clicking on the center left tab||Possible|
|File transfer between local ⟷ remote||The menu appears by clicking on the center left tab||Possible if you allow access in the settings in advance|
|Printing from a local printer||Impossible (printing is available only from satellite printers)||Possible|
|* Impossible on version 8 series client. See FAQ|
|Remarks||* The Windows store also has VMware Horizon Client, but the Windows store version seems to have limited functions available. For example, printing from a local printer is not available with the Windows store version.|
2-2. On Web browser (HTML5)
- Access the following URL:
Click “OK” when the following page appears.
* Please refer to the this Web site for supported browsers.
- Input your username (ユーザー名) and password (パスワード) and click on the “Log-on (ログオン)” button.
For the username (ユーザー名) input like “s1234567” or “family.given.xx”. It is not necessary to include “@u.tsukuba.ac.jp” or “@s.tsukuba.ac.jp”. For the password (パスワード), input your password for Unified Authentication System.
- As an icon “Remote Desktop Service (リモートデスクトップサービス)” or “Web Print (WEBプリント)” will appear, click on “Remote Desktop Service (リモートデスクトップサービス)”.
- Connection will establish.
- If you click on the “Start” button (the button with the Windows logo), then the screen will become like the following. To sign out, click on the part in the upper right where the user name is displayed and select “Sign out (サインアウト)”.
The list of apps you can use will be appeared if you click on the arrow in the bottom of the figure above.
2-3. With VMware Horizon Client
The Japanese version is now available. Please see the Japanese version if you are in a hurry.
3. Using Linux Desktop on the Zengaku Computer System
This section describes the instructions for using Linux desktop from Windows. To use Linux desktop from mac OS or Linux, use similar software intended for each OS.
3-1. VNC Vewer
VNC connections to the Linux server can only be made from IPs that are determined to be from Japan.
- Download a VNC Viewer suitable for your environment from http://www.realvnc.com/download/viewer/
- Launch the VNC Viewer.
- Enter kiri.u.tsukuba.ac.jp in the search bar.
- If this is the first time, a warning as follows appears. Click on [Continue].
*The Catchphrase and the Signature are like watchword when connecting next time, and if this is different from the one at the last connection, a warning appears since there is a possibility of man-in-the-middle attack.
- Enter your user name and password and select [OK]. Please decide at your own risk whether to check on “Remember password”.
- Connection established.
- To end the session, disconnect with the operation of the VNC Viewer side. Simply close the window, or, click on the cross at the right end of the menu in the middle of the upper part of the screen as shown below (appearance varies slightly depending on your device) and select “Yes” in the confirmation dialog to disconnect.
When you disconnect, the last screen will be displayed as thumbnail on the VNC Viewer, but be aware that the session is not stored.